Pupils from Weston Ryhn Primary School; Ollie Greenway and George King with Paul Farry, Sundries Manager at Moreton Park
The Garden Centre welcomed a class of nineteen year two pupils from Weston Rhyn Primary School to the centre to take part in a ‘Grow your Own’ session (Friday March 8th). The informative and educational gardening workshop included the children planting pumpkin, sunflower and carrot seeds. The children took the planted seeds back to school with the challenge amongst the children, as to who can grow the largest.
The activity were part of celebrations of the gardening industry wide 'Garden Re-Leaf Day' www.gardenreleaf.co.uk where the whole of the gardening industry took part in a series of gardening based events to launch the new gardening season. Alyson Haywood the Garden Centre Manager commented ‘We are pleased to help young people engage in gardening activities. Children can gain so much from planting and looking after their own vegetables’
Suttons Seeds kindly donated seeds and equipment for the event.
Children’s ‘Grow Your Own’ Unusual facts
- According to the Guinness Book of Records, the tallest ever sunflower grew to 7.76m high. That is about as high as four men standing on each other’s heads!
- Did you know, carrots actually come in a range of colours? White and yellow carrots come from Europe, and purple ones come from the Middle East. The orange ones are a fairly recent invention, created by crossing various other colours.
- There are more than 50 different kinds of pumpkins. The largest pumpkin pie was baked in Ohio. It weighed 2,020 pounds. The ingredients included 900 pounds of pumpkin, 155 dozen eggs, and 300 pounds of sugar!
Dog owners are healthier than the average person- FACT
It is a scientifically proven fact that dogs improve can improve their owners health. Just a few of the reasons for this include:
Your dog keeps you active with regular walks in the fresh air
You dog can help you rehabilitate from illness
Your dog can warn you of danger
Children are significantly less likely to develop eczema by age 4 if they have a dog
Be kind to your pooch and look after it’s health…We like to give a litlle helping hand are Moreton Park Garden Centre…
FREE PDSA health check for you DOG AT Moreton park Garden Centre
WHEN: Friday 22nd Febuary between 10am and 5pm
- The health check covers;
- Body condition score and weight
- Teeth and gums
- Eyes and ears
- Coat condition
- General fitness
The PDSA nurse will be also be available to provide free pet care advice. Microchipping and nail Clipping will also be available for a small charge. No appointment is necessary, just turn up.
Dogs are welcome in the garden centre at all times provided they are kept on a lead. We also stock a wide range of pet products, food and accessories.
- Dogs have been trained to detect cancer by sniffing it out
- The Greyhound is the fastest dog on earth. They can run up to 45 miles per hour
- The first living creature sent into space was a female dog named Laika
- Puppies do not open their eyes until they are about two weeks old
Wow, one of our team has already put up their Christmas Decorations…can you belive it?! With only 38 shopping days to go, when will you be entering the festive spirit and putting your decorations, trees and lights up…? Or are you in denial? You know it's not far away when we see the Coca Cola 'Holidays are Coming' advert on TV…
Christmas Hampers, Christmas Trees, lights, decorations, crackers, cards, gift wrapping service, toys, gifts for her, gifts for him, gifts for Grandma or Grampa … the list goes on … Moreton Park Garden Centre offers you a one stop shop for all your festive treats!
Have you visited the Garden Centre recently? Now is the time to make the most of our extended opening hours, we are open until 8pm on Thursday's in the run up to Christmas, so you can shop after work stress free. Take some time-out and treat the family to a Winter Warmer Supper Menu in our restaurant, 2 main courses are only £12.
Kids just love our Christmas Displays…
Moreton Park Garden Centre is so much more than just a Garden Centre, lots of inspirational ideas for your garden and home … and now a fantastic Christmas range with festive treats to tempt the whole family. Ho, Ho Ho!